Parfums de Marly

Parfums de Marly

The XVIIIth Century saw the indisputed reign of King Louis the XVth. France was the flagship of fragrances, with Grasse and Paris as its leading Places. Every day, the king requested a different scent for his apartments and streams of aromatic scents sprang from the royal fountains. Renowned for its scent extravagances, the court was named “la cour parfumée”.


The best fragrances of all time were invented during this era by the king’s dedicated perfumer ‘Jean Fargeon’. The King decided to give to Marly castle, built by Louis the XIV, more importance by dedicating it to the well-being of the horse. As a fervent admirer of horses, Louis XV always tried to enhance horse qualities by cross breeding them. He was offered 8 Arabian horses by the King of Tunisia, ‘Bey de Tunis’. Among them are the Darley Arabian, Godolphin Arabian and the Byerley Turk.


 In 1743, in memory of his great-grandfather Louis XIV, Louis XV commissioned Guillaume Coustou to sculpt his famous masterpiece for the grounds of the Château de Marly. This magnificent work of art, known as “The Marly Horses”, earned a place on the Champs Elysees Avenue in the heart of Paris in 1974, where it can still be admired today.



Items 1 to 9 of 10 total

per page
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2

Grid  List 

Set Descending Direction

Items 1 to 9 of 10 total

per page
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2

Grid  List 

Set Descending Direction